8/30/08

"Circ"

It was Katie and I who decided to circumcise Sorin. But it was my decision to be in the room and watch it happen.

More than a few people said, "You watched it?!" I don't know... it was just something I felt I should be present for. Mom can't relate. Dad needs to be there. I'm comfortable with surgery at this point. While I didn't see Katie get cut open for the birth, I saw her opened up as Sorin came out. So watching him get circumcised seemed doable, and it was for the first part. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say the precision of those tools (and Francoise, the French pediatritian) are worth every penny they get. As they started, I was going fine. Then he brought out the clamp. That's when I took a step back, sat in the chair, and asked for a cold glass of water.

In the end, Sorin was one of a kind - he almost fell asleep for the surgery! There were moments when baby's usually cry pretty good, but nothing phased Sorin - just his dad. Of course I had to take one picture to mark the moment. The finger in his mouth is the sugar water that takes much of his attention away from the work of Francoise.

No comments: