10/7/08

I Can't Resist

I might be a little rushed this morning for work, but I can't resist posting about Sorin.  He's on a schedule (for a few weeks now) where we stay up until 10pm with him so that he sleeps 'til 1:30 when Katie gets up to feed him.  Then I'll get up at 4:45 with him and give him a bottle. When he's back to sleep I get ready for work by 7 and all is well.

It's that whole process of getting him back to sleep that is such a treat.  Some mornings he gets done with the bottle and he's wide awake.  Others he practically falls asleep over my shoulder.  If he's awake, it takes a good 15 minutes of walking him around to get him to dose off.  I try not to use the Nuk, but Katie tells me he often takes it well.  If he's dosing off over my shoulder, it's not a long walk before he's konked out.

This morning was the later - he was sleepy right after the bottle.  I walked him around and within three minutes I was sitting on the couch with him.  He was sleeping for probably 5 minutes when I decided to wrap him and put him back in bed.  Well he woke up and I said to him, "You were just sleeping?!?!"  Now I'm a little nervous for how long this is going to take to get him back to sleep.  But within 5 minutes he was dosing off again on a walk around the house.  I sat back on the couch and he was fading fast.  

The best part of him falling asleep is the facial expressions.  I've got to catch some of these on camera.  His eyes roll to the back of his head.  When the eyes close, his lips pucker or he gives a little smile from the side of his mouth.  And sometimes just as they eyes shut he gives a big smile that screams, "Ha!  I'm off to sleep."  It almost seems sinister.  But it makes me smile and I do all I can not to laugh out loud and wake him back up.

This morning when he got up for his bottle and before I changed him, his was crying pretty hard.  Things weren't quite ready around the house with the bottle and my morning routine so it was getting pretty stressful.  I didn't want to get Katie up for help, but this cry was pretty bad. We managed, and when Sorin finally started to dose off he gave that final smile from the right side of his mouth - it's the cutest thing I've ever seen.  He was as comfortable in my arms as he could ever be.  I leaned my head back into the pillow with a huge smile on my face and thanked God for my son.

No comments: